Sustainable Water Supply: An Overview of Water Supply Systems in some Nigerian Peri-Urban Communities

Israel Dunmade


The aim of this study was to identify various types of water supply systems in Nigerian peri-urban communities, to articulate reasons for their adoption and to assess their sustainability. The study involved intensive literature survey, site visits to water facilities in a number of Abuja, Ilorin and Lagos peri-urban municipalities, historical data collection, and field note from onsite observation and dialogue with the operators. It was discovered that approximately 70% of these water facilities are pumped shallow well water while the rest 30% are borehole water. Furthermore, the water rate charged varies from one facility to another.  The water rate jumps up by 30% - 35% during the dry season. Moreover, clients of the water supply facilities spend 6% - 15% of their monthly family income on water. There is therefore a need for water rate standardization, monitoring and enforcement of policy guidelines of the private water supply facilities. Doing so would lead to improved quality of water supplied, improve public health and ensure sustainability of water supply in those municipalities.

Keywords: Community, peri-urban municipality, sustainability, water supply

Full Text: PDF
Download the IISTE publication guideline!

To list your conference here. Please contact the administrator of this platform.

Paper submission email:

ISSN (Paper)2222-1700 ISSN (Online)2222-2855

Please add our address "" into your email contact list.

This journal follows ISO 9001 management standard and licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.

Copyright ©