Quality of Work Delivery Practices at the Building Sites: Case Study of Building Sites at Gomoa Nyanyano-Ghana

Kweku Bedu Simpson, Peggy Maansah Ankai Howard


Inadequate attention to quality issues has culminated in substandard work which could partly be attributed to unqualified project participants and non-compliance with building regulations and codes leading to inadvertent collapse and demolishing of building structures. The main objective of the study was to assess the quality work delivery practices at the sites. The study applied qualitative method of collecting data using questionnaires, interviews and observation. A total of 86 respondents took part in the study, 71 completed questionnaires while 16 were interviewed. The population constituted Artisans, Supervisors, Building Inspectors, Engineers, Architects and Clerk of Works. The most significant findings were that majority (64.8%) of the artisans had basic education with (16.9%) possessing intermediate or vocational qualification. 81.69% were apprenticeship trained whereas the rest 18.31% had both apprenticeship and schooling or schooling only. Most of them lacked the basic knowledge in Building Regulations pertaining to their field of work. Due to inadequate supervision and control of works, the use of poor quality materials and work processes was rife leading to substandard work at most sites. The principal conclusion was that much premium be placed on quality work at the sites so as to ensure quality structures and a remarkable increase in the satisfaction of end users.

Keywords: Quality Control, Building Sites, Workforce, District Assembly Officials, Local Authority Byelaws, National Building Regulation, supervision, enforcement, Artisans, Qualification

Acknowledgement: We are very much grateful to all those persons who in diverse ways contributed to the success of this study especially Mr Ebenezer Anohah of Mfantsipim Senior High School, Cape Coast-Ghana for his constructive criticisms and suggestions which helped in structuring this write up.

Full Text: PDF
Download the IISTE publication guideline!

To list your conference here. Please contact the administrator of this platform.

Paper submission email: CER@iiste.org

ISSN (Paper)2224-5790 ISSN (Online)2225-0514

Please add our address "contact@iiste.org" into your email contact list.

This journal follows ISO 9001 management standard and licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.

Copyright © www.iiste.org