Adaptation Study of Released Finger Millet (Eleusine Coracana L.) Varieties in Western Oromia, Ethiopia

Geleta Negash


The experiment was conducted on eight improved finger millet varieties against local check at Chanka research sub site and on station at Haro Sabu Agricultural Research Center (HSARC) for two consecutive (2017-2018) years to identify and recommend high yielding, insect pest tolerant, and stable varieties. The seeds were planted in Randomized Completed Block Design (RCBD) with three replications in the net plot size of 3m2 using four harvestable rows at the spacing of 30cm. Agronomic traits Viz. Days to heading (DH), Days to maturity (DM), Lodging percentage (LDG), Grain yield (GY), Plant height (PH), Finger length (FL), Productive tillers (PTR), Finger per main ear (FPME)  Finger weight per plant (FWPP) and Head blast (HB)   were collected and analyzed. Analysis of variance revealed significant difference among varieties for most observed traits. The combine ANOVA and the AMMI analysis for grain yield across environments revealed significantly affected by environments, that hold 40.84% of the total variation.The genotype and genotype by environmental interation were significant and accounted for 32.67% and 23.44% respectively. Pricipal component 1 and 2 accounted for 17.98 % and 5.09 % of the GEI respectively with a total of 23.07 % variation.In general, Adis-01 and Boneya varieties   were identified as the best varieties for yielding ability, stability, tolerant to diseases and recommended   in the area and with similar agro-ecologies.

Keywords: Adaptability, finger millet (Eleusine coracana L.) stability varieties

DOI: 10.7176/JBAH/9-11-09

Publication date:June 30th 2019

Full Text: PDF
Download the IISTE publication guideline!

To list your conference here. Please contact the administrator of this platform.

Paper submission email:

ISSN (Paper)2224-3208 ISSN (Online)2225-093X

Please add our address "" into your email contact list.

This journal follows ISO 9001 management standard and licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.

Copyright ©