Socio-Cultural Factors Influencing Access to Reproductive Health Service Information among the Youth in Korogocho Slum of Nairobi, Kenya

Omweno Lucy, Ondigi Alice, Ogolla Lucy


Access to reproductive health services information by the youth has received the minimal attention given that reproductive health service information for many years has been tailored to meet the needs of the adult population. The youths have therefore been neglected partly due to cultural sensitivity that dictates what, when and how reproductive health information is transmitted to the youth. This study investigated selected socio-cultural factors influencing access to reproductive health service information in Korogocho slum in Nairobi Kenya. A descriptive survey design was employed; questionnaires, focus group discussion guides and key informant interview schedules were administered on 164 with youths and 5 health facility officials (key informants) to collect data, the response rate was 91.46. The reliability and validity of research instruments was ensured by pre-testing.  With a R2 value of 0.98 the study found out that 98% of the independent variables explained access to Reproductive Health Service Information with the remaining 2% explained by other factors. The study revealed that the youth in Korogocho had inadequate and inaccurate Reproductive Health Service information mostly received from the media and/or their peers. The major socio-cultural factors that were found to influence the RHS included; family, religion and peer influence. The study therefore concludes that the above selected socio-cultural factors had influence on access to Reproductive Health Service information among the youths in Korogocho slum.

Key Words: adolescent health, youth in slum areas, health information accessibility

Full Text: PDF
Download the IISTE publication guideline!

To list your conference here. Please contact the administrator of this platform.

Paper submission email:

ISSN (Paper)2224-5766 ISSN (Online)2225-0484

Please add our address "" into your email contact list.

This journal follows ISO 9001 management standard and licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.

Copyright ©