Socio-Economic Obstacles of Women Empowerment in Rural Bangladesh: A Study on Puthia Upazila of Rajshahi District

Md. Afzal Hossain


Women empowerment is the burning question not only Bangladesh but also all over the world. Precondition of proper social and economic development women empowerment is very much needed. But women are neglected in various sectors in Bangladesh. Only training and educational program can be empowered women properly. It is badly needed women empowerment to sound development. Women empowerment makes sure the development process. The present study mainly deals with the obstacles of women empowerment of Puthia Upazila under the district of Rajshahi. It reveals the real obstacles of women empowerment in the following indicators like; Family restriction, Socio-religious restriction and Socio-economic condition of the women in the study area. After collecting the data, the researcher found that 24% women are having restriction from their family to go to school, 30.40%women are getting victimized by early marriage, 53.60% guardians of the women are illiterate and 20% guardians do not have knowledge about importance of empowerment of women in the study area. The maximum respondents possess land between 01and 02 acres while a few numbers of the respondent (12.00%) possess 06 and above acres of land and 38.40% respondents have surplus income. On the other hand, 61.60% respondents do not have surplus income in the study area.

Keywords: Socio-economic obstacles, Women empowerment, Rajshahi district, Bangladesh.

Full Text: PDF
Download the IISTE publication guideline!

To list your conference here. Please contact the administrator of this platform.

Paper submission email:

ISSN (Paper)2224-5766 ISSN (Online)2225-0484

Please add our address "" into your email contact list.

This journal follows ISO 9001 management standard and licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.

Copyright ©