Estimation of Poverty among Rural Farming Households in Delta State, Nigeria

Pius Chinwuba Ike, Uchenna N. Uzokwe


This study examined the socioeconomic characteristics of the farming households in Delta State, Nigeria with a view to isolating those that affect poverty. It determined the expenditure pattern of the people and subsequently estimated their poverty level. Primary and secondary data were used for the study. Primary data were collected through the use of structured questionnaire while secondary data were sourced from various ministries and extra ministerial departments in Delta state. The data were analysed using head count index, poverty gap index, percentages, means and frequency distribution. The results revealed that 70% of the respondents were poor based on the poverty line drawn at two-thirds mean monthly expenditure of N5010, while the remaining 30% were not poor. The estimated average monthly additional income required to bring an average poor person up to the poverty line is N2105. The major factors aggravating poverty in the study area were low level of education, low income, small farm size and inadequate social infrastructures. It is suggested that income of farming households should be augmented through government assistance to farmers in form of subsidization of farm inputs and provision of functional and effective social amenities.

Keywords: Poverty, Standard of Living, Poverty Gap, Basic Needs, Household.

Full Text: PDF
Download the IISTE publication guideline!

To list your conference here. Please contact the administrator of this platform.

Paper submission email:

ISSN 2422-8397

Please add our address "" into your email contact list.

This journal follows ISO 9001 management standard and licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.

Copyright ©