Adaptation Study of Released Bread Wheat (Triticum aestivum L) Varieties in the Western Oromia, Ethiopia

Geleta Negash


Bread wheat is the most important cereal occupying a prominent position among major food crops in the world in terms of acreage and production and is an important cereal crop which is  receives the most attention of specialists in plant breeding and production in the world wide. The interaction between genotypes/varieties and environment is an important for effective selection of the variety/ies. This experiment was conducted on thirteen bread wheat varieties against local check at Haro Sabu Agricultural Research Center (HSARC) sub site across environments in 2017-2018 cropping seasons to identify and recommend high yielding, insect pest tolerant, and stable varieties. The seeds were planted in Randomized Completed Block Design (RCBD) with three replications. Six agronomic traits and three economically important disease reaction data were evaluated. Analysis of variance revealed significant difference among varieties for most traits were recorded. The combine ANOVA and the additive main effects and multiplicative interactions (AMMI)  analysis for grain yield across environments exhibited significantly affected by environments,  explained 61.07% of the total  variation.The genotype and genotype environmental interation were significant and accounted for 26.9 % and 6.3 % respectively. Pricipal component (PCA1) and 2 accounted for 4.3 % and 1.9 % of the GEI  respectively with  a total of 6.2 % variation.Therefore, Ogolcho and Liban varieties were identified as the best varieties for yielding ability, stability, tolerant to diseases and recommended   in the area and with similar agro-ecologies.

Keywords: AMMI, wheat evaluation, GGEI, Performance, stability

DOI: 10.7176/JBAH/9-11-08

Publication date:June 30th 2019

Full Text: PDF
Download the IISTE publication guideline!

To list your conference here. Please contact the administrator of this platform.

Paper submission email:

ISSN (Paper)2224-3208 ISSN (Online)2225-093X

Please add our address "" into your email contact list.

This journal follows ISO 9001 management standard and licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.

Copyright ©