The Frequency of Malignancy in Nodular Thyroid Disease

Hussein Jasim Dadoosh AL-janabi, Basam Kamal Samad, Qusay Sami Ahmed


The thyroid nodules occur quite frequent but, thyroid carcinoma is a relatively infrequent malignancy. Thyroid carcinoma is generally regarded as a condition of modest oncologic importance because it accounts for less than 0.5% of cancer deaths (less than 2% of all cancers). A sample of 196 patients with nodular thyroid enlargements who underwent thyroidectomies were included in this cross-sectional study. The diagnosis of thyroid carcinoma was confirmed in 18(9.2%) patients in this series. Most of the patients were presented with benign goiters, mainly nontoxic multinodular goiter. Cervical lymphadenopathy was present in 4(22.2%) at presentation. In ten patients out of the 18 patients (55.5%) diagnosed with carcinoma, it was possible to make a correct diagnosis of thyroid carcinoma before and at operation time. While in the remaining eight patients (44.5%) the diagnosis of carcinoma was made at a histopathological examination of the surgical specimens. In conclusion goiter affect female more than male. Nodular colloid goiter was the main pathology. Thyroid carcinoma reported in 9.18% of the sample with goiters. Papillary carcinoma was the commonest histopathological type among patients with carcinomas.

Keywords: Goiter, multinodular goiter, carcinoma, ANF

DOI: 10.7176/JHMN/66-04

Publication date:September 30th 2019

Full Text: PDF
Download the IISTE publication guideline!

To list your conference here. Please contact the administrator of this platform.

Paper submission email:

ISSN 2422-8419

Please add our address "" into your email contact list.

This journal follows ISO 9001 management standard and licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.

Copyright ©